A painter born in Chicago, Illinois on October 5, 1871, William Hubacek came to San Francisco by covered wagon as a child of five and began painting at twelve. His art studies were at the Mark Hopkins Institute under Yelland, Mathews, and Joulin. His first studio was in the family home in the Mission District at 823 York Street. After continuing his art training in France, Germany and Italy, he returned to San Francisco and taught at Mark Hopkins. A great portion of his earlier works was lost when his studio was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. In 1938 he moved down to the peninsula to San Bruno where he had a studio in his home at 241 San Luis Avenue. His many students from the surrounding area called him "The Old Master". A highly competent painter of still lifes and landscapes, his work reflects a thorough academic training.
Exhibited: California State Fair, 1892-99; San Francisco Art Association, 1893-1906; World's Colombian Exposition, Chicago, 1893; California Mid-Winter International Exposition, 1894; Panama-Pacific International Exposition, 1915; San Mateo County Fairs, Golden Gate International Exposition, 1939; New York World's Fair, 1939; San Bruno Public Library, 1958 (retrospective).
Works held: Oakland Museum; California Historical Society; San Bruno Public Library; Orange County Museum of Art.
Hughes, Edan M. Artists In California 1786-1940. 3rd ed. Vol. 1. Sacramento: Crocker, Art Museum, 2002. N. pag. 2 vols. Print.