Douglass Parshall was a painter and muralist born in New York City on November 19, 1899. As a child Douglass began to draw under the guidance of his father Dewitt Parshall. By age 10 he was painting landscapes and at 15 he had one of his works exhibited at the National Academy of Design. He later studied briefly at the Art Students League in New York City, Academie Julian in Paris, and the Boston Museum School, and with Frank M. Fletcher. In 1917 he settled in Santa Barbara, California with his family and established a studio in Alexander Harmerís old adobe. Parshall traveled extensively seeking subject matter in the remote corners of the world. Using mixed media, his subject matter is very diverse including landscapes with figures, portraits, and horses. His works have won many awards in California exhibitions. During the 1960s and 1970s he taught portraiture at the Santa Barbara Art Institute. Parshall died in his home in Montecito on August 29, 1990.
Member: Associate of the National Academy of Design, 1928; National Academy of Design, 1969; California Art Club; Painters of the West; Santa Barbara At Association; Los Angeles Art Association; California Watercolor Society (Pres. 1947-48); Society of Western Artists.
Exhibited: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1918, 1921; Golden Gate International Exposition, 1939; Crocker Art Gallery, Sacramento, 1942; de Young Museum, 1935.
Awards: Hallgarten prize, National Academy of Design, 1924, 1927; purchase prize, California Watercolor Society, 1958, 1962, 1965.
Works held: Warner Bros. Theater, Hollywood (murals); Santa Barbara Junior High School (murals); Syracuse Museum; NMAA; Reading (PA) Museum; Kansas City Museum; San Diego Museum; Detroit Museum; de Young Museum; Santa Barbara Museum; Oakland Museum.